Ep. 53 Riffs, runs, and melismas with guest Matt Cusson!

In Episode 53 Sara invites her friend, Spectra Jazz recording artist Matt Cusson to sing some songs and talk about riffs, runs and melismas in the R & B/gospel tradition. Matt is well known as a singer, songwriter, and keyboard player, and won the 2009 Maxell Song Of The Year John Lennon Songwriting Competition for […]

Be Sociable, Share!

In Episode 53 Sara invites her friend, Spectra Jazz recording artist Matt Cusson to sing some songs and talk about riffs, runs and melismas in the R & B/gospel tradition. Matt is well known as a singer, songwriter, and keyboard player, and won the 2009 Maxell Song Of The Year John Lennon Songwriting Competition for his original song “One Of Those Nights”. Matt Cusson has a wealth of touring credits including Brian McKnight and Christina Aguilera.  Learn more about Matt’s music at http://www.mattcusson.com and buy Matt’s awesome music on iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/matt-cusson/id388203148.

Be Sociable, Share!

7 Responses to “Ep. 53 Riffs, runs, and melismas with guest Matt Cusson!”

1. reggie says:

Thank you soo much. Both you and Matt. I like Matt’s Humility and your passion to help other singers, I love that in addition to your singing skills. God bless you guys alot.This helps me alot. I was wondering, what is the name of the urban method trumpet>? I want to know the melody of that also. You guys are awesome.

2. saraleib says:

Thanks, Reggie! That trumpet method book is called the Arban method. Here’s a link:

3. Dannn says:

Hey Sara!

First of all, thanks for uploading these videos. They are very informative and helpful. Both you and Matt are very talented singers!

I was wondering if you could upload a blues scale mp3 or video that we can practice with to help improve riffs/runs. It would be greatly appreciated!

thanks again!

4. Saraleib says:

Hey Reggie! Thanks for the compliment and thanks for watching! Episode 55 has some more riff exercises, but I’ll try to get a blues scale episode up in the next week or so for ya! Cheers! -sar

5. Mjoylaw says:

EXCELLENT Sara & Matt….Thank you……….:)!!!

Sara I hope you know, you’re a special person…………..!!!

Keep up the wonderful work,

My best,
        Michelle

6. Phillip Ma'aelopa says:

Thank you so much for this!! You told me about this via YouTube.

Do you have any video for teaching vibrato?

7. Phillip Ma'aelopa says:

Also, sorry for clogging this up, but Jessica Reedy is a gospel singer with a phenomenal lower register and is very fond of riffs and runs

Use the Form Below to Leave a Reply